Privacy and cookie notice
We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors and the volunteers who participate in our projects.
This policy sets out how we will treat your personal information. The term Personal Information comprises all information which allows or facilitates the identification of any individual.
1. Data collected and specification of purposes
We may collect, store and process the following kinds of personal data:
- Information about your computer. When you visit our site, we may automatically collect information about your computer configuration, such as your browser type, operating system, IP address or ISP domain name as well as about your visits to and use of this website (length of visit and number of page views).
- Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us on the enrolment of our courses.
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our email notifications and/or newsletters (with your explicit permission). This information is only used for the purpose of sending you newsletters and you can opt out at any time.
This website uses a session cookie to keep information on any choices you make or data you enter. A session cookie is a short string of characters used as a key to the actual information that is stored on our server. The cookie becomes invalid when you logout or after a period of inactivity and is deleted when you close your browser.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to visitors’ needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
We use Google Analytics and Monarch (Elegant Themes) plugin to generate statistical information on the use of this website. The data are collected and stored by Google and presented to us in the form of report tables and charts. The data do not include any personal information.
3. Security of your personal data
We intend to protect the integrity of your personal data. For this purpose, we will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, alteration, unauthorised use, access to or disclosure of the personal information received on our site.
You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will not ask you for your password.
We will store your personal data for as long as your account is active. If you choose to delete your account, all information will be deleted within the set 30 days. Please see 8. Your Rights for more information.
For more information on the security of your data, please consult SCI’s Data Audit and Compliance Plan (link at end of this privacy notice).
4. Using your personal data
We collect your personal data if you voluntarily and intentionally provide it to us.
The information that we collect when you register on our site is necessary to enrol in a course. Some categories of personal data may be marked as mandatory in our online forms. If you decide not to provide the personal data marked as mandatory, you will not be able to join the desired course.
We may use your personal information to:
- Process your request to enrol in a course.
- Complete and support online functions of this website.
- Administer the website.
- Improve your learning experience by recording your course progress.
- Compile statistical data.
- Comply with any requirements of law.
- Get in contact with you quickly.
- Send you our newsletter by email or similar technology if you have specifically agreed to this (you can inform us at any time if you no longer want to receive such communications).
- Deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website.
Please note that if you join a group, your name and comment activity within the group will be visible to users logged into the platform.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. In case you have decided to subscribe to our newsletter a different policy statement is attached to this.
In addition, we may be obliged to disclose your personal data:
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law (on the request of a Belgian public authority or by an order of a Belgian court or other judicial authority).
- In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings.
- To establish, exercise or defend our legal rights
- To protect our rights or if the information relates to actual or threatened harmful conduct.
6. Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
7. Policy amendments
8. Your rights
You have the right of access, free of charge, to the information about you that we hold, and to have erroneous information corrected. Requests for copies of the information we hold about you must be made in writing, signed, dated and accompanied by a copy of an identification document. Requests will be processed by SCI within 30 days.
You may withdraw any consent you have previously provided to us, or object at any time on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your personal information. You may also delete your account, after which we will delete all identifiable information linked with your activity. We will comply with your request as soon as possible and within 30 days.
If you would like to exercise these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. How to contact us
Service Civil International (SCI), Belgiëlei 37 B-2018 Antwerp BELGIUM
10. Your consent to this policy
All disputes relating to or originating from the use of this website shall be exclusively submitted to the courts of Belgium, which will have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to such disputes.
This Policy was last updated on 26 January 2021.
For more information, please consult our Data Protection Policy and our Data Audit and Compliance Plan.